Saturday 8 March 2014

Why TNA is better than WWE... and Pro Wrestling Elite rocks!!!! (originally published 26 February 2013)

It's amazing the way my mind wanders when doing mundane things... and the subjects I tend to think about are almost always totally unrelated to the task at hand. Take today for example, I am busy peeling and chopping carrots for my homemade soup when I start to think about wrestling. I mean if you can think of a genuine link relating carrots and wrestling, I would love to hear it!!

Funnily enough, my last blog (way back in September) was also about wrestling, specifically Pro Wrestling Elite but I will get back to them in a minute.

So in January the long-awaited TNA Maximum Impact tour hit the UK and on Wednesday 23 January Rob and I went to Braehead Arena in Glasgow for the event. We had also got our fan interaction tickets and we really excited to see who would appear at the signing. While we were disappointed that Jeff Hardy did not make it to the UK this time, Rob was ecstatic to see Austin Aries was one of the superstars, along with Kurt Angle, RVD, Chavo Guerrero, Hernandez, Zema Ion and The Blossom Twins from the TNA British Bootcamp. I was kinda disappointed that there was no Hogan, Sting, Roode or Storm but as long as Rob was happy!! He took his homemade TNA title belt along with him and had them all sign it and I took along a plain white t-shirt which they also signed. The plan is to take them to all future events and get as many signatures as we can! The show was great and from our third row seats we saw our first (but hopefully not last) steel cage match and I can now say that I have seen the Legend that is Sting wrestling live! They also gave all the participants from British Bootcamp, Rockstar Spud, Marty Scurll and The Blossom Twins, a chance to be part of the show. I will admit that I was not impressed by the winner of the TNA contract, Rockstar Spud on the night and actually took to calling him Mashed Tattie!!!


2013-01-23 17.14.50
Austin Aries likes Rob's Style
2013-01-23 23.50.26
Signed T Shirt
2013-01-23 17.17.35
Rob's handmade belt signed

Now we move onto February 16th and Pro Wrestling Elite's One Wild Night. I got ringside seats booked as part of Rob's birthday present and we were both really looking forward to the event. We were not disappointed! Firstly they used Bon Jovi's One Wild Night for the event so I was happy right from the start. Now if you read my last blog, you will know that I just love to get verbal with the wrestlers and if they pick on me Rob thinks it's fab....and having ringside seats, a very loud voice and bright blue hair is a good way to catch their attention. As much as I love the good guys, you just cannot beat a bit of banter with the heels and Kid Fyte and Martin Kirby were bloody brilliant! When I asked Martin Kirby if "he was born a fanny, or did he practice" he pretended he couldn't hear me but the look on his face when Rob called out "she just called you a vagina!!".....Priceless. Kirby then turned to Kid Fyte and said in a simpering voice "she called me a vagina" to which Kid turned to me and called me a blue haired dyke. Rob was in his element and I scored yet more cool mom points! The highlight of the night however was the appearance of TNA's new signing Rockstar Spud. Now this lad comes from Birmingham and is up against a Scottish wrestler called Red Lightning....and you know how hated Red Lightning must be when a bunch of Scots are chanting and cheering for the Englishman!! During the break Rob had his photo taken with Rockstar Spud and one of the Scottish wrestlers Grado, then we had a chance to get autographs and chat with Spud. That's when my opinion really changed. At the TNA gig he came across as a pompous little ass and he lost his match. Here he was polite, chatty and genuinely nice. He spent a good wee while chatting to us about Rob's "American accent" and rather than saying that it was strange or weird (the normal responses when we explain his Aspergers and language development), he said it was so cool and he was "well impressed." That lad made my boy feel amazing and for that Spud, you will have a fan for life in me and I will never refer to you as Mashed Tattie again! Of course the only disappointment was that we did not have Rob's belt and t-shirt with us and missed a chance to get another TNA superstar signature on them.....and thats what got me thinking today while I was peeling my carrots...

Rob with Rockstar Spud and Grado.Pic by David J Wilson
Rob with Rockstar Spud and Grado
Pic by David J Wilson
...at every Pro Wrestling Elite event we have attended there has been at least one TNA superstar appearance. We've seen AJ Styles, Mark Haskins, Mickie James, Magnus and now Rockstar Spud. Now I may be wrong but I don't ever remember hearing of anyone on a WWE contract being allowed to wrestle for independent outfits. I think its great that the independent circuit gets this type of support from TNA. A big name can draw in new fans....after all it was the chance to see AJ Styles that brought Pro Wrestling Elite to our attention in the first place and now we can't miss an event.... which is why, despite the fact that the next event, Elite Takeover on 11 May coincides with my sister's and my mother's (60th) birthdays, Rob and I have our ringside seats booked for Ayr Town Hall... and I think the belt and t-shirt will be going along too...just in case!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment