Tuesday 7 April 2015

Review: Discovery Wrestling

Saturday 14 March 2015


As I am so far behind with my blogs and Discovery Wrestling have already released the entire show on YouTube, this is not going to be my usual review but just some of my personal opinions and observations.

We arrived slightly later to the venue than planned due to one of our group having to change travel plans - someone had jumped in front of a train and the line to Edinburgh was closed!  We still arrived in plenty of time and met up with our friends who had travelled from Dundee.    This was when we discovered that the ringside seating had been pre-allocated and we wondered if we would be seated together.  It turned out we were not, we were scattered around the ringside and I was allocated seats at a ringpost.  This means that almost every in-ring photo features turnbuckles and/or the ringpost.   The whole point of us arriving early at venues is to get seats together and good photo ops - unfortunately we had neither.  Some people left early and I moved to those seats to get some cracking pics during the final match between Chris Sabin and Damian Daniels.

Onto the show... after the amazing show at Meadowbank, the setup seemed rather sparse.  A chat with management later revealed that they were unable to use much of their lighting, etc due to the restrictions placed on them by the venue.  Still they made good use of what they were allowed to set up.  The audio, however, was terrible.  I don't know if it was a problem with the equipment or the hall acoustics but it was almost impossible to make out what was being said on the microphone, from the ring announcer to the wrestlers themselves - it was all just a muffled noise.

Another bugbear was one of the referees.  I remember reading once that the mark of a good referee is that you don't notice them during the matches until they are required to make their presence felt.  One of the referees was a little over-zealous, grabbing the wrestlers when in the corners without even attempting a five count and dancing around them in the ring to the point of actually getting in the way of them.

I am not going to review each match as you can watch the whole show yourself by clicking here!  I would like to mention a couple of  show highlights for me:-

Danny Boy Rogers was amazing in the four way match with Lou King Sharp, Aspen Faith and Martyn Stallyon.  Looking forward to seeing more of him in the future.

I loved the Wealdstone Raider video telling Joe Hendry he had no fans.  Was a bit confused when Damo was distracted by Ian Ambrose's entrance music allowing Hendry to get the roll-up and pinfall. I think it was supposed to be Rampage Brown's music.  Damo was not happy and chased after Hendry, who made his escape over the railings into the crowd right beside me so I did get some good pics there.

Since the fatal fourway at Meadowbank I have wanted to see a match between Lewis Girvan and Chris Sabin but with the "Y" Division tournament matches not yet announced, I was actually praying they would not be facing each other tonight....and it was answered.  Girvan faced Ian Ambrose and Sabin faced Damian Daniels, both winning their matches (and they were brilliant matches) to set up my dream match for the next show on 10 April - I cannot wait to see this!

Discovery's next show is at Royston Wardieburn Community Centre on Friday 10th April and as well as the Girvan v Sabin "Y" Division Championship, it will also feature the only Scottish appearance of The Young Bucks.

For information on this and their event on Friday 22 May, like them on Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment